How to Set Yourself up For Competitive Success
“It’s Monday, and I’ve already trained seven hours. It’s hard to find balance in your personal life, working and training. But it is doable.” – Tennil Reed, OPEX Athlete and Winner of the CrossFit Games South Regional
Glory takes years of commitment and effort.
Athlete’s like Tennil Reed have paid this price and reaped the rewards. If the roar of the crowd and reaching the podium at the upcoming Alpha Games in the South of France, means as much to you as it did for Tennil, listen closely.
To win, it’s what you do when you’re not being watched that counts. Becoming a champion takes work and sacrifice away from the competition floor. There are no shortcuts.
With the qualifiers for the Alpha Games nearing, here are some tips from our OPEX Coaches to prepare yourself for success.
- Have a Game Plan: Don’t expect to dominate every workout. Everyone has a weak movement or skill. Start constructing a strategy for how you will tackle each workout and the qualifiers as a whole.
- Know “Why” You Compete: Though it may seem a waste of time, it’s important to understand your motivations for competing. This process of self-reflection can lead to powerful performance boosts as you begin to unite your mind with your body. When fatigue hits, reminding yourself of your “why” will keep you pushing through the pain to success.
- Stay Consistent: The tail end of training for a qualifier season is not a time to lose focus or direction. Consider what weakness were revealed by your practice workouts and start gearing your training to turn these weaknesses into strengths.
- Be Vulnerable: Being vulnerable is about staying present in the moment of competition. Staying present allows you to go all out, forget those around you and simply do what it takes to reach your goals.
- Focus On Yourself: Run your own race. Becoming distracted with how others are performing in the qualifiers can lead to unnecessary anxiety. Tip the balance in your favor by staying focused on your game.
As Alpha Games’ sponsors, we’d be happy to support your training. Speak to one of our coaches now.